[MPlayer-users] qtime movie without sound

Brett Kosinski brettk at interdynamix.com
Mon Mar 10 17:49:36 CET 2003

>  I've uploaded MauraEmmys2002.mov in the incoming dir (sorry about the
>  size, it was the smallest I had).
>  When I run it the picture's OK but I get no sound; I get an
>
>   Opening audio decoder: [faad] AAC (MPEG2/4 Advanced Audio Coding)
>   FAAD: Failed to initialize the decoder!
>   ADecoder init failed :(
>   ADecoder init failed :(
>   *** Try to upgrade /home/peder/.mplayer/codecs.conf from etc/codecs.conf
>   *** If it still does not work, read DOCS/codecs.html!
>   Cannot find codec for audio format 0x6134706D

Yeah, this is known... the current work around is to do the following:

  mplayer -dumpaudio -dumpfile soundtrack.aac movie.mov
  faad soundtrack.aac
  mplayer -audiofile soundtrack.wav movie.mov

Where faad is the command line decoder that comes with faad2.  Oh, and
make sure you have plenty of disk space available for the decompressed WAV
file. :)

This has worked for me, although I've had some inconsistent results (with
faad2 on a RH box, the audio was buggered, but that could be compiler
related).

Brett.