[MPlayer-users] Color/quality/blotchy issue...

GS Hunt ghunt at cogeco.ca
Thu Mar 13 00:45:07 CET 2003

-On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 10:24, spowers at inland.k12.mi.us wrote:
> >  When I installed RedHat 8.0, I had to add this line
> >to my /etc/X11/XFree86Config file to use 24 bit color
> >rather than 8 bit:
> >
> >DefaultDepth 24
> >
> >  This line should go inside the Section "Screen" section.
> >
> >  Hope this helps.
>
> Unfortunately, I already have that line.
>
> I've been playing with options, trying to get the picture right.  I'm not
> entirely clear on some of the -vop options, so I've just been trying them
> randomly.  If I use -vop palette, the picture improves in the color area,
> but it appears like it's painted on canvas.  (strange crisscross lines in
> the video, almost like it's had a photoshop canvas filter applied...)
>
> I can't seem to find any specific documentation on the the options
> regarding palettes, etc.  Some of them even say "finish documenting" in
> the man page.  I am going to keep trying, but I sure wonder why it worked
> before!
>
> Thank you for any other ideas you may have...
> -Shawn

I hate when the happens... got something tweaked ... try to make it
better... and wham ... back to square 1

Does that palette problem appear in just the videos? or you whole
desktop?

Perhaps try the xdpyinfo and see if your default screen is actually in
24 bit mode..

default visual id:  0x23
  visual:
    visual id:    0x23
    class:    TrueColor
    depth:    24 planes
    available colormap entries:    256 per subfield
    red, green, blue masks:    0xff0000, 0xff00, 0xff
    significant bits in color specification:    8 bits

Look for something like TrueColor... in the default visual.

Take a peek at /var/log/Xfree86.0.log

Find something like the following..."yourcardname" instead of radeonn
checking again for true color (24bit)

**) RADEON(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(II) RADEON(0): Pixel depth = 24 bits stored in 4 bytes (32 bpp pixmaps)
(==) RADEON(0): Default visual is TrueColor

Check for any errors in that log

try lsmod

sd_mod                 11788   0  (autoclean) (unused)
radeon                 75736   0 <- shouldnt be zero!
agpgart                31840   1  (autoclean)
parport_pc             21672   1  (autoclean)
lp                      6720   0  (autoclean)

look for nvidia .. look at the 2nd number (the alot smaller one) Make
sure it is not zero like the above example. If it is zero there's a
chance that the X is using some generic driver rather than your nvid
driver and that could explain your bad color problem..

Hope that helps..

Gary