[MPlayer-users] Subtitles.

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Mar 12 23:58:19 CET 2003

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 08:09:59PM +0100, Nandan Joshi wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 March 2003 18:45, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 03:16:07PM +0100, Nandan Joshi wrote:
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]

> > > I have the same filename. The files r 'Hero.2002.avi', 'Hero.2002.srt'
> > > and 'Hero.2002.sub'. I created a new folder and tried to one subtitle
> > > file at a time. For both formats no success. Subtitle files r good, and
> > > work with other player like WMP(Windows), Xine, but not with this. And
> > > when I tried manually to load the files, it gives the same error 'cannnot
> > > load subtitles: filename.srt'
> >
> > And when it tries to load subtitles and says not found, what filename
> > does it show? Probably Hero.srt!! Which means the fact that you're
> > using a . in the 'base name' is confusing MPlayer. It would have been
> > much easier to determine this if you had sent a full bug report, and
> > I'm still just guessing since I don't see the full MPlayer output in
> > your email. If this actually is the problem, someone should look into
> > fixing it..
>
> Well, it wasn't the filename problem. Well, even it didn't work with other
> movies, whose names were simple like 'Sonatine.avi' & 'Sonatine.srt'. But now
> it's working, it is all my stupidity :-$ When I try with the command 'mplayer
> Hero2002.avi' it shows the subtitles :-) But it was my mistake that I didn't
> realise that it was 'gmplayer' that I was using. 'gmplayer' doesn't show
> subtitles. I have to enter the commands of 'maplyer' to let the subtitles
> work in the movie. Why 'gmplayer' doesn't show the subtitles, when it is the
> same player as 'mplayer'? Here's the output I've got of 'gmplayer': (Just
> quite relevant part I'm giving here)
>
> Playing /windows/E/Completed/Hero/Hero2002.avi
> AVI file format detected.
> VIDEO:  [XVID]  640x304  24bpp  25.00 fps  958.2 kbps (117.0 kbyte/s)
> Clip info:
>  Name: ¡¶Ó¢ÐÛ¡·ÖíÅó¹·ÓÑ¿í´ø½»Á÷ÂÛ̳Ææµã¹¤×÷ÊÒ
>  Artist: JFXIE
>  Product: Ó¢ÐÛ
>  Creation Date: 2003.1.12
>  Copyright: ÖíÅó¹·ÓÑ¿í´ø½»Á÷ÂÛ̳Ææµã¹¤×÷ÊÒJFXIEÖÆ×÷
>  Software: Nandub v1.0rc2
> SUB: Detected sub file: /windows/E/Completed/Hero/Hero2002.srt
> SUB: Detected subtitle file format: subviewer
> SUB: error recoding line (1).

Perhaps you have some sort of character set conversion option set
wrong in your gui config...? It sounds like gmplayer is trying to
convert character sets and then failing...

> It is the partial output, when file was played with 'gmplayer'. Look at the
> line with starting 'SUB:' It registers a error. I think this output will let
> u know what could be the problem with 'gmplayer'. With command line it is
> quite good, but I can't get any seekbar there, and I dunno exactly which keys
> I have on keyboard, to use different options, where can I read it? At least I
> know the key 'f' switch to Fullscreen mode, so I can enjoy the movie, but I
> didn't find anywhere in FAQ or Documentation about keys to be used when file
> is opened in Terminal.

man mplayer and look at the keyboard controls section, or just use
mplayer -help for a quick key summary.

> When I modify my ~/.mplayer/config file to allow GUI, it doesn't open subtitle
> files. Maybe there's a bug in GUI. Please check it.

Maybe so. I've never used the GUI but I hear it's kinda buggy.

Rich