[MPlayer-users] Re: aspect ratio change in 1920x1080 seq.

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Thu Mar 13 00:25:47 CET 2003

D Richard Felker III writes:
 :: On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 11:36:22PM +0100, Balatoni Denes wrote:
 :: > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
 :: > Hi!
 :: >
 :: > How about adding -vop scale=width:height -sws X
 :: > ( 0 <= X <= 10 , incase your cpu is not fast enough to use slower
 :: > rescaling methods) ?
 ::
 :: LOL!! There is no (non-classified ;))) cpu that can software scale
 :: 1920x1080 in realtime!
 ::
 :: I would suggest just using -x and -y to control hardware scaler... but
 :: I think they fail when the aspect code fails to find a size that fits.
 :: :(
 ::
 :: Rich

You are right. -x and -y don't work here.  What's this about "fails to
find a size that fits?"  I just want MPlayer to leave the cotton-picking
data alone and play it.  Since my screen is 1600x1200 I expect the
window to hang off the edge.  That fine.

In fact, what MPlayer is doing is this:

I have xinerama running (actually twinview on a GForce4---yes, I'm a bad boy :-)
and the MPlayer window is starting up on the 2nd screen (1280x1024)
horizonally squashed to fit.  Under other circumstances, i.e. with
my 1280x1024 yuv sequences MPlayer starts up on the first screen and
does no scaling.

So how do I tell MPlayer to just play the data, unmolested.
Since I am doing human visual system experiements which involve
exact knowledge of the spatial freq. content of the sequence, the
last thing I want is for scaling filters to muck up my data.

                             Dean S. Messing
                             Display Algorithms & Visual Optimization Lab
                             Information Systems Technologies Dept.
                             Sharp Laboratories of America
                     E-Mail: deanm at sharplabs.com