[MPlayer-users] Re: Improved RTSP/RTP streaming support

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Thu Mar 13 03:05:22 CET 2003

> > - In most cases you no longer need to use the "-fps" option to set the
> > video frame rate.  Instead, the MPlayer code will try to figure out the
> > frame rate automatically, by comparing the RTP presentation times of
> > successive packets.
>
>Eh? If packets have presentation times, you should just use those

I do.

>MPlayer can handle variable-framerate
>streams where it just has a timestamp for each packet rather than a
>fixed framerate.

I wish MPlayer worked that way, but unfortunately it doesn't.  For MPEG-4
(or H.261, H.263, or motion-JPEG) video streams, MPlayer would complain,
and not play video at all, if the user did not use the "-fps" option.  My
code now overcomes this by looking at (and buffering) incoming packets
until it is able to figure out the frame rate; then it sets
"sh_video->fps", and from then on the rest of MPlayer is happy.

For MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video streams, on the other hand, MPlayer never used
to require the user to use "-fps".

         Ross.