[MPlayer-users] Advice on solving out of sync movie

romildo at uber.com.br romildo at uber.com.br
Sat Mar 15 02:28:59 CET 2003

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 04:33:20AM -0800, Corey Hickey wrote:

> Jose Romildo Malaquias wrote:
> >
> >I am having problems with mencoder producing movies
> >with good synchronization between audio and video.
> >I am running mencoder 0.90rc4-3.2 on a Red Hat Linux 8.0
> >box. I have also tried mencoder CVS-021210-03:00-3.2
> >with similar results.
> >
> >I need advice on how to proceed to solve this
> >problem (even if that envolves using other tools
> >besides mencoder).
> >

> I and others have had this problem too, where the video is just barely
> out of sync with the audio, by less than 100ms in most cases. Somebody
> posted to this list a day or two ago about using -mc 0 to correct that.
> I've tried a couple samples, and found that adding -mc 0 to the encoding
> command fixed the sync with my DVD that used to produce the worst sync,
> and screwed up another DVD that had good sync before.
>
> I sort of think using -mc 0 is a bad idea, but I haven't heard from any
> of the gurus around here yet. Arpi, Richard, or somebody, could you
> please elaborate?

Adding -mc 0 to the encoding command had no effect.

> In any case, for this and a couple other reasons I've started using
> ogmmerge, of Moritz Bunkus' Excellent OGMtools (TM) :-) to create ogm
> files out of video encoded by mencoder and ogg vorbis audio. I haven't
> seen any sync problems with that process yet.
> http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/ogmtools/

I have tried the steps sugested in the ogmtools README file and
created an ogm file out of the video encoded by mencoder. The
out of sync persists in the ogm file.

I have done experiments withe mencoder, and found out that
the out of sync is happening only with 3 passes encoding.
With 2 passes and 1 pass encoding, I have obtained
good avi files, without the problem. Maybe the
developers should investigate what is going on wrong
with the 3 pass encoding code.

Regards,

Romildo
Prof. Jos? Romildo Malaquias        romildo at uber.com.br