[MPlayer-users] new version of detc filter! (inverse telecine)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Mar 15 23:40:38 CET 2003

On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 05:30:31PM +0300, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> DRFI>In the next couple days I'll be committing a greatly improved
> DRFI>version of the de-telecine (detc) filter. Some of the big
> DRFI>advantages of the new design include:
>
> Thanks! I've tested cvs and it works great, but I have some questions.
>
> Now I use detc right after pp (-vop denoise3d,detc,pp=de/-al), is it
> most correct way?

Postproc should probably be done afterwards for reliability and
quality. Otherwise, detc might not detect interlacing as well and
might introduce a slight bit of new interlacing.

> Will something bad happen if I include detc in default -vop chain, so it
> will run on every non-telecined videos as well? I don't want to lose

Maybe, maybe not. IMO it's a bad idea.

> DRFI>Overall, this code seems to be working much better on my test
> DRFI>material (still SE Lain). At this point I'm mostly happy with it,
>
> Hmm, when I play SEL encoded to svcd I see almost no interlace frames,
> but mplayer (in demuxer_mpg part) keeps on switching framerate
> ("detected telecined sequence...", after a while "detected progressive
> sequence...", and so many times), like it was without detc in recent
> mplayer. Isn't this behavior interfering with detc filter, I wonder?

Hmm, your version must be entirely different from mine. Mine is 29.97
fps all the way through, on DVD. I know there are several different
DVD releases; I have the original with 4 DVDs and only Japanese audio.

> DRFI>excessive frame dropping), realtime telecine removal in mplayer for
> DRFI>use with DVDs and SVCDs (so you don't have to reencode first), and
>
> But I never reencoded... And I tried it with some svcds, it worked
> great.

Yes, except it uses tons of CPU time and every 4th frame will be shown
for 1/15 second (double time) instead of all frames being shown for
1/24 second. This looks really bad during pans.

Rich