[MPlayer-users] Re: two questions and a feature request...

Chris Phillips chris at thirtythreeandathird.net
Sun Mar 16 13:13:43 CET 2003

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Paulo Dias wrote:

> Hi/2 all...
>
> First of all i would like to thank all developers for the great work put into
> mplayer... it's one of my favorite players (my loyalty bounces forward and
> back between xine and mplayer ;)).

traitor.

> That said i have three questions i couldn't work out by RTFM or the docs.
>
> 1 - i read all about subtitles, how to put them and such, but i couldn't work
> out a way to put the subtitles of a divx in the black borders, i can display
> them all along the movie boundaries, but not on the black borders.
> I would like to mimick the aviplay method.

you have a subtitle file which you are overlaying onto the video when you
play it? expand the video manually back to 4:3 ratio using the vop expand
filter, this adds the black bands on delibertaley, and the subtitles
should then appear lower down relative to the main video.

> 2 - Also to do with subtitles:) with txt subtitles (like subviewer ou subrip
> or etc), the font scale can be chosen, type of font etc...BUT is there any
> way to scale (read amplify) the subtitle font when i'm watching a dvd? i know
> dvd subtitles are really bitmaps, but is there any clever way to do so, the
> problem is that i'm a poor student without money to buy a decent dvd/tv so i
> watch movies on my 17`` monitor, and dvd subtitles sometimes are too small to
> read from my bed, so either i buy binoculars or i scale the fonts ;)

pretty sure there's not.

thanks

Chris
xxxxx

AcidRip: DVD ripping with mencoder made easy
http://acidrip.sf.net
(recently added to gentoo's portage tree)