[MPlayer-users] Advice on solving out of sync movie

Blaz Lorger blaz.lorger at kksonline.com
Sun Mar 16 19:10:53 CET 2003

Jose Romildo Malaquias wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>Hello.
>
>I am having problems with mencoder producing movies
>with good synchronization between audio and video.
>I am running mencoder 0.90rc4-3.2 on a Red Hat Linux 8.0
>box. I have also tried mencoder CVS-021210-03:00-3.2
>with similar results.
>
>I need advice on how to proceed to solve this
>problem (even if that envolves using other tools
>besides mencoder).
>
>I have captured a movie from TV using mencoder (on Linux):
>
>$ mencoder -o movie0.avi \
>   -tv on:driver=v4l:device=/dev/video0:norm=palm:width=640:height=480:chanlist=us-cable:channel=9 \
>   -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:keyint=0:vbitrate=5000 \
>   -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 \
>   -vop pp=tn
>
>The resulting avi file is about 8 Gb in size.
>
>Then with VirtualDub (on Windows) I have deleted the comercials
>from the avi file, and saved to a new file: movie.avi
>
>Now I want to process this avi file to deinterlace the movie and
>reduce its size to fit in a 800 Gb CD. So I have processed it with
>mencode (3 passes processing):
>
>Pass 1:
>$ mencoder movie.avi -ovc frameno -oac copy -o frameno.avi
>
>Pass 2:
>$ mencoder movie.avi \
>   -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=875:vhq:vpass=1 \
>   -vop pp=lb \
>   -oac copy \
>   -o um-sonho-distante.avi
>
>Pass 3:
>$ mencoder movie.avi \
>   -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=875:vhq:vpass=2 \
>   -vop pp=lb \
>   -oac copy \
>   -o um-sonho-distante.avi
>
>The final avi file um-sonho-distante.avi is out of sync between
>audio and video, in all players I have tried (mplayer, xine,
>VirtualDub, aviplay, ...).
>
>I am clueless on how to solve this problem and achieve my objective.
>Any help?
>
>Romildo

I'm using mencoder 0.90rc4 and lame 3.93.1. I have noticed that I get
250 ms audio delay when reencoding audio stream in video files.
I was using following audio codec options: -oac mp3lame -lameopts
abr:br=64:q=0:aq=0
Delay improved significantly (60ms) after I changed those options to
-oac mp3lame -lameopts preset=64
Delay has decreased even more (30ms) after adding option -mc 0

Have you checked that synchronization in original file (movie0.avi) is OK?

Blaž