[MPlayer-users] Is MPlayer the right one? How to Install it without "root"

Götz Waschk waschk at informatik.uni-rostock.de
Mon Mar 17 10:11:16 CET 2003

Am Sonntag, 16. März 2003, 04:17:26 Uhr MET, schrieb thcuong:
> 1)I wanna build a video player on Linux, capable of playing at least
> MPEG 1, 2 formats.
> Anyone here tell me which open-source player is the simplest (be it by
> Java or C/C++) available on Linux?.
> Is MPlayer the right one?.

Hi,

all the good Linux players can play MPEG 1 and 2, MPlayer is no exception.

> 2) I want to install Mplayer on my machine, a client machine running
> Linux (I'm not the root user, and cannot install normally as if I'm on a
> stand-alone Linux machine and act like a root). How can I install MPlayer?

It's all in the manual:
./configure --prefix=$HOME
make
make install

Voila, you're done.
--
   Götz Waschk <> master of computer science  <> University of Rostock
 http://wwwtec.informatik.uni-rostock.de/~waschk/waschk.asc for PGP key