[MPlayer-users] mencoder and 4GB+ files

Richard Dymond rjdymond at ntlworld.com
Tue Mar 18 21:13:28 CET 2003

Can mencoder cope with files over 4GB?

I used mencoder to record from my TV tuner thus:

mencoder -tv on:driver=v4l:freq=719.250:outfmt=yv12:audiorate=44100:width=768:height=576 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg:vqscale=2 -oac copy -audio-density 25 -o tv.avi

The resulting file was about 20GB, and played OK except for seeking: mplayer complained that there was no index. I tried to fix it like this:

mencoder tv.avi -ovc copy -oac copy -forceidx -o tv_idx.avi

but mencoder stopped processing after 4GB, leaving me with 80% of my AVI missing.

I'm using rc4 at the moment. Is this a bug, or is there some option or method I should be using to cope with files larger than 4GB?

Richard