[MPlayer-users] Question about mplayer/mencoder

Pigeon pigeon at pigeond.net
Wed Mar 19 10:54:52 CET 2003

> We're going to need more information if anyone can help you. What
> version are you using? What is the exact command line(s) you use to
> mencode your files?

	Ok I should have mentioned, for some reasons I forgot to.

	Anyway.

	It is 0.90rc4.

	I was following the encoding.html to rip a certain section of a dvd,
using 3-pass encoding. So I went:

mencoder -dvd 2 -endpos <some time> -ovc frameno -o frameno.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3

mencoder -dvd 2 -endpos <some time> -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=1:aspect=16/9 -vop crop=<some args>  -oac copy -o movie.avi

mencoder -dvd 2 -endpos <some time> -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vpass=2:aspect=16/9 -vop crop=<some args>  -oac copy -o movie.avi

	And sorry I couldn't remember the exactly -endpos and crop arugments I've
used.

	The output was perfect when I watch it under mplayer. But with xine,
it is displaying a lot of green blocks.

	And then I tried to encode this avi file into mpg with:

mencoder -of mpeg -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video -oac copy movie.avi -o movie.mpg

	mplayer doesn't play any sound (it said "no sound") for this mpg,
while xine plays it without sound either, plus the image stopped every
now and then.

	I was just wondering there's any option I should use for encode them
so that the movie file is more "compatible" with other players, like
windows media player, for example.

	Thanks again.

Pigeon.