[MPlayer-users] Re: New to MPlayer

Tuukka Toivonen tuukkat at ees2.oulu.fi
Fri Mar 21 10:03:51 CET 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:

>t>Xine
>
>forget it - it may be too hard, and you'll have to hack xine sources
>anyway. You can try xine-remote, but you'll have to run xine anyway...

Strange, I haven't tried that myself but the documents indicated that there
was a simple API for playing video with xine engine. But then, I have an
impression that MPlayer and Xine are pretty rough competitors, and if one
asks on Mplayer list about Xine, the answer should be easy to guess ;)

>t>Gstreamer
>
>never tried it...

Neither really me, but I did read the docs. IMHO Gstreamer is the future of
streaming media on Linux, so in the longer run you should take a serious
look into it. But for building a simple media player, it might not be the
fastest way at the moment. But this really depends on your
requirements--Gstreamer is plugin based and very flexible, so if the other
programs don't fill your needs, Gstreamer might be the right choice.