[MPlayer-users] TV Capture

yardbird frbiscani at libero.it
Sat Mar 22 18:24:01 CET 2003

Hi,

On Saturday 22 March 2003 17:13, Yan Seiner wrote:
<snip>
> I read in the FAQ that sound support for TV is broken/unimplemented with
> mencoder under linux.  Since I plan on using a BT848 TV card for video
> capture, can I assume that mencode won't work with that either?

I use mencoder with my bt848 and everything is ok, no audio sync problems or
other wierd stuff. I use an external cable to grab audio: from TVAudioOUT to
Line-in of the audio card. Just make sure that you have selected line-in as
audio source  for grabbing (a mixer does the job).
I'm very satisfied with my tv-capture experience with mencoder :-) I usually
grab the video with very high quality settings (like vqscale=2 or 3) and at
768x576 resolution. Then I apply denoising filters (like pp=lb and
denoise3d), scale down the movie and adjust the bitrate so that it will fit
on one or two cds. A major problem was advertisement: it used to be difficult
to cut and past different video streams, but now with the ogm file format
(and related utils: ogmmerge, ogmsplit, ogmcat, etc.) it is pretty easy to do
the job.
Hope this helps. Best regards,

	francesco