[MPlayer-users] bug: tail cut on pcm audio file

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Sun Mar 23 12:00:46 CET 2003

Siim Vahtre wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I seem to have problems playing some audio files with mplayer.
> The problem is that for some reason it cuts about 1/2 seconds
> from the end. I wouldn't even bother whining here but the audio
> I want to play is about 1-2 seconds long so having 1/2 of it
> cut away is pretty big problem.
>
> I tried to play the files with some random windows wave-players and
> it seemed OK so the problem should not be in the files themselves.
>
> Because the files are really small (20k total), I took the risk to
> attatch two of them so you could take a closer look...
>
> 1) Hpissed1.wav: there should be someone saying "make up your mind"
> but I can hear only "make up your.."
> 2) Sword1.wav: there should be a short sound of sword, but I hear nothing.
>
> (The header shows that the files are a PCM WAVE audio, 8 bit mono, 11khz)

Hmm, that's odd. When I play them with -ao alsa9, I hear the last part
repeated. Hpissed.wav goes like "Make up your mind your ma-" and
Sword1.wav sounds like "choonk-click bop". With -ao oss or -ao sdl,
neither file plays at all. If I use -ao pcm, then audiodump.pcm behaves
just like the original.

-Corey