[MPlayer-users] Feature request: derainbow filter

John Evans jevans64 at knology.net
Mon Mar 24 04:40:09 CET 2003

Hello,

I don't have a reference image of the effect, but I believe the origional
poster refers to
" cross-luminance interference ", which happens if the processing of the
video information
is not done properly in the studio. Cross-luminance interference is
basically color information
that is mistaken for luminance information. There is high-end studio
hardware that can deal
with reversing this effect but the source must be of good quality ( forget
about properly correcting
a composite signal ;-) ). This high-end equipment / software will split the
color and luminance
information, tweak it, and put it back together.

Credits. ;-) This effect is most visible in the credits sections of movies,
etc. because of the difference
in color information ( white text next to black background or small text on
a black background ). This
effect can also be seen in color images if a person wears clothing that has
fine datails on it ( pin-stripes ).

One quick & dirty way of reducing cross-luminance interference is to blur
the image slightly or change
the chroma range ( say. bumping chroma from +110 IRE to 100 IRE ) but this
effects the picture quality.
Of course, you could always turn off chroma. ;-) I do this for black & white
source that has cross-luminance
interference in it. ;-)

I don't have a non-destructive solution for this problem, just a description
for it. ;-)

John