[MPlayer-users] Re: rip audio cd

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Thu Mar 27 21:27:49 CET 2003

Hi I.S.Kuten,

on Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:30:23 +0200 you wrote:

> DOCS/bugreports.html] On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 09:26:58 -0700 (MST)
> Brett Kosinski <brettk at frodo.dyn.gno.org> wrote:
>
> > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
> > DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read
> > > DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > >
> > > Hello , I tried to rip audio cd , tried several options , none works
> > > just gives me segfault
> >
> > Err, you may have a good reason for this, by why, dear lord, would you
> > use mplayer to do a cd rip when something like cdparanoia is FAR more
> > suited to this?
> >
> > Brett.
> >

> Because i'm writing writing multimedia apps , which uses mplayer ,
> And it would be nice if the only dependency for my app will be mplayer
> only :-)
>
> I know that paranoia well suited for ripping , but i try to use as less
> as possible any external apps.

Many ppl keep ask about encoding mp3 with mplayer and i got a little idea
wich consist of using /dev/zero, the rawvideo demuxer and frameno.
Both the raw video demuxer and the raw audio demuxer (used for cd
reading) needed a few fixs and these are now in CVS.

So now you can do : mencoder -ovc frameno -oac mp3lame -rawvideo on:w=16:h=16
 -audiofile cdda://1 /dev/zero
and it will make an "audio only" avi. You can play these with mplayer (you
needed -vc null (and probably -vo null too) otherwise it crash on seek),
or extract (with mplayer) the mp3 with -dumpaudio.

It's also intersting if you want to use the menu with audio only files,
or use a dxr2/3 as soundcard ;)

	Albeu