[MPlayer-users] How to start mplayer

Stephen Liu satimis at icare.com.hk
Fri Mar 28 03:56:14 CET 2003

Hi,

Joonas Koivunen wrote:
> - snip -
>
>>Video CD can be played but sound quality and video quality are not
>>reliable and stable.  The playing of the same video CD is good this time
>>but becomes bad next time
>
> make sure that arts isn't used.. suspend arts (with kde start -> multimedia ->
> more programs -> arts control tool) before starting mplayer

I took following steps
kde start -> multimedia -> more programs -> arts control tool
The pointer is at "-12"

Click "View" -> "aRts status" to popup "artscontrol" window
It has been suspended already

> and make sure
> it's not set in any config files.

Whether you menat these 3 files
/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf
/etc/mplayer/input.conf

There is nothing mentioned about "arts" or "arts" or "aRt" or "aRts" there.

>>I think I have to fine tune the config file.  Any suggestion?
>
> change ao=arts (if you find one) into ao=oss or ao=alsa, pick the one that
> sounds more familiar to you.. a tip for a beginning kde user.. avoid arts
> whenever possible.. i hope ppl get rid of it in future.. though that's only
> my opinion..

There is no "ao" found in
/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf
/etc/mplayer/input.conf

in /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf

I found following lines
# ao=oss    # To specify default audio driver
             (see -ao help for # list)
# ao = sdl:esd	 # use SDL audio driver by default
		 # use "ao = sdl:esd" to use SDL's ESD driver

Shall I make any change

TIA

B.Regards
Stephen