[MPlayer-users] is there a way to force -vo vesa:vidix touse640x350 output?

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Mar 30 18:00:03 CEST 2003

On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 04:57:34PM +0200, nico berndt wrote:

> > > nope. didn't help. i guess i need to find a way to cut the picture to
> > > 640x350 before it reaches the output-drivers.
> > >
> > How about  -vo crop=... ?
>
> that did it. thx!
>
> ..but it lead to another problem wich is now related to my tv :(
> in order to get the picture to fill the screen, in 640x350 mode i have to
> stretch the height of the disply to maximum and still the upper and lower
> edges will not reach the screen-edges. this works definitely better with a
> 640x480-picture, wich i can successfully stretch far enough to let 640x352
> movies fill that 16:9 screen.
>
> now the question will be: how to get mplayer with vesa:vidix to always use
> 640x480 as output wich is a bit sad, because i actually hoped to leave the
> picture as untouched as possible using 640x350. they could have built that
> hardware of my tv a bit more thoughtfull.
>
> any suggestions?

Well NTSC TV is *always* 480 lines tall, so you can't leave the
picture untouched unless it's WWWx480 to begin with -- since you're
using a widescreen TV, basically the only things that you could play
on it without scaling are anamorphic widescreen DVDs.

If your TV has controls to scale the picture and you can successfully
get the black bars to stretch off the screen at 640x480, I guess
that's ok, but otherwise you'll have to use the vidix hardware scaler
or the soft scaler. You shouldn't notice any quality degredation with
this, however, unless the source material is interlaced...and then
it's pretty much hopeless... :(

Rich