[MPlayer-users] DeCSS legal status

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Mon Mar 31 21:44:32 CEST 2003

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 11:56:43AM -0700, Brett Kosinski wrote:
> > > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]

> > > mplayer
> > > used for copying.
> > >
> > > As correct as this statment is, it is also true that DeCSS is in fact used
> > > to watch the DVD.
> > > Since DeCSS is circumventing CSS, it is a conflict with the DMCA...
> > >
> > > AFAIK, everytime we watch a legaly bought DVD with DeCSS, we are breaking
> > > the law :)
> > >
> > > But, this is pure legalese sh*t, it can be used almost everywhere except for
> > > the US.
> >
> > There has never been such a ruling, and probably not even such a claim.
> > The reason the lawyers go after decss itself (the source) is probably
> > because it can be used in making something to copy dvds. That's quite
> > different from a binary that only plays them. Rich
>
> Oooh, do keep in mind that players must be licensed by the DVD consortium,
> or whatever it is.  This is how players get legal copies of the DVD keys.
> So creating a player without such a license may very well be illegal.

Who cares? :) I've bought a DVD player in MediaMarkt ;-) (very cheap)
which plays all regio codes, it has got 5+1 analogue sound output,
besides digital ones, can play dvd,vcd,svcd,"mp3 discs" and such.
Of course it was produced by "no-name" company and it was MUCH cheaper
than products of any well known and famous company :) I hadn't got
a single problem with it :) I think this example can say everything
about this situation :)

> Brett.

- Gábor (larta'H)