[MPlayer-users] DeCSS legal status

Christof Buergi christof at buergi.lugs.ch
Mon Mar 31 22:51:37 CEST 2003

Am Montag, 31. März 2003 20.56 schrieb Brett Kosinski:
> Oooh, do keep in mind that players must be licensed by the DVD
> consortium, or whatever it is.  This is how players get legal copies
> of the DVD keys. So creating a player without such a license may very
> well be illegal.

No, this one I can deny. Not licensed != not legal. A license is nothing
but a piece of paper, that allows you to do something, what otherwise
would infringe intellectual property of any kind. The only problem with
DeCSS in that direction is the "stolen" player keys, which might
infringe copyright. But as I said before, those keys can easily be
removed, without removing actual functionality (the opening of a DVD
will be slower, but that's it).

--
                     _ ___      http://www.p2501.ch/             / \
|/  /\   /\   /\  | \   |  |    christof at buergi.lugs.ch          \ /
|\ /--\ /  \ /  \ | /_  |  |    Master of unrealistic idealism    x
                                Say NO to HTML in mail and news  / \