[MPlayer-users] Re: Video Filter for Black Frame Detect

Jeremy Mann Jeremy.R.Mann at integracarehh.com
Thu May 1 23:01:24 CEST 2003

Commercials are spliced in two ways, some come down from the network
feed, and the rest are local offices splicing it in.  When the show
preairs it has gaps where local offices place their commercials, and
these are definitely not predictable.  HDTV and PDTV illustrate this
nicely sometimes b/c there are green glitches, or tape noise, where the
local affil splices into the feed.  They also unfortunately frequently
forget to flip back over to the network feed and you get Standard
Definition for a few seconds.

In answer to your second part, commercials are 99% of the time 15 or 30
seconds.  It depends on the gap they must fill.  But sometimes(at least
in the US) the local affil decides to put a news teaser into the feed,
these can be really random in length from 5-20s.