[MPlayer-users] mencoder tv capture video problem

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat May 3 03:03:03 CEST 2003

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 01:25:49AM +0200, Wieslaw Kierbedz wrote:
> joekewl at socal.rr.com wrote:
> >[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> >I recently picked up a WinTV card (bt878), and am trying to capture the TV
> >signal with mencoder. However I am having a problem with the captured video
> >file. When I play the video file back on my system, the video is only in
> >sync with the audio for the first second of the video, after that, the
> >video
> >falls behind the audio, almost like the video is in slow-motion, while the
> >audio playback continues in real time.
> >Here is the capture command I am using:
> >
> >mencoder -tv
> >on:driver=v4l:adevice=/dev/dsp:norm=NTSC: -ovc
> >lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=900 -oac mp3lame -lameopts
> >cbr:br=64 -vop pp=lb -o output.avi
> Maybe: ...width=320:height=240:fps=29...]
> try -aoc pcm to take sound 1:1 with no compresion first and higher
> bitrate of video to not charge cpu

NO!!! NEVER WRITE FPS=29 OR THE WRATHFUL DEITIES OF NTSC WILL DESCEND
UPON THEE WITH BOUNDLESS MALICE AND DESTROY YOUR PITIFUL BODY!!!!!

Ok, with that said, NTSC framerate is 29.97 (~30), not 29.00. There
was a huge bug until just recently though which resulted in default
fps being 29.00 on ntsc systems, which gave horrible choppy
recordings. So what's why I'm very snappy when people say fps=29! :)

As for the original poster's question, I think the issue is probably
that mencoder's confused about whether the audio it's capturing is
mono or stereo...

Rich