[MPlayer-users] hardware reqs for playing DIVX over dxr3/hollywood+

Rene Bartsch ml at bartschnet.de
Sat May 3 17:11:39 CEST 2003

Am Sam, 2003-05-03 um 07.05 schrieb Michael D. Spiceland:

> According to the mplayer docs a dxr3/hollywood+ card can be used to play
> non-MPEG files such as divx files.  What kind of hardware
> requirements/performance can one expect playing divx movies with one of
> these cards?

A Celeron500 was fast enough for me to do live transcoding from DivX to
MPEG1 - nice quality with the HW-filters of the DXR3.

>  Additionally, can the SP/DIF digital audio output on these
> cards be used even with PCM (non AC3) audio?

Yes. I had some problems with MPlayer (I think it was RC3/4) switching
the card back to analogue after a replay, so the next one I didn't hear
anything by digital out. But such a bug shouldn't be a problem to be
solved (if it hasn't been yet).

Switching between PCM/AC3 wasn't a problem.

Rene