[MPlayer-users] realvideo & codecs

Andrew J. Yeckel ay2b at queue.org
Mon May 5 12:57:12 CEST 2003

I'm trying to play a realmedia file (specifically
rtsp://a1021.v0029f.c29.g.vr.akamaistream.net/ondemand/7/1021/29/v001/mtvcomstor.download.akamai.com/8601/mtv/realmedia/g2/daria/daria_501.rm)
and I'm getting the error:

Failed to initiate "audio/X-PN-REALAUDIO" RTP subsession: RTP payload format unknown or not supported
Failed to initiate "video/X-PN-REALVIDEO" RTP subsession: RTP payload format unknown or not supported

This seems to imply to me that I don't have the right codecs installed
correctly.  (I've installed realplayer, and can play the file with
realplayer.)  I've installed the latest mplayer-686 package from
marillat.free.fr (testing), and I've downloaded all of the codec packages
from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/codecs/, and unpacked all
the files in all those packages into /usr/lib/win32.  The documentation
for installing codecs didn't seem clear (or rather it seemed clear that
all I needed to do was put the files into /usr/lib/win32, but that didn't
work).  What am I missing?  Am I correct that the above errors imply a
missing codec, or is something else wrong?  Perhaps a missing mime.types
line?  What do I need to do to be able to play the above mentioned .rm
file with mplayer?

Thanks,
	Andy

--
"Those who would sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."