[MPlayer-users] Re: [OT] Can't play DVDs on an iBook

Colin Leroy colin at colino.net
Tue May 6 15:05:43 CEST 2003

On 06 May 2003 at 09h45, Viktor Rosenfeld wrote:

Hi,

> > Have you enabled DMA and such for your dvd drive?
> > hdparm -d1 -a8 -u1 /dev/dvd
>
> Yes.  Also, I have the same issues when trying to play ripped VOB files.
> I think it's a bandwidth issue somewhere.

Powerbooks with DVD have an hardware mpeg chip which Apple player uses,
but not mplayer of course. Maybe this is the reason. FFmpeg people have G4
Altivec optimisations, but there aren't any for G3s.

I'm able to watch VOBs on my 400MHz G3 with a framedrop of more than 75%
(quite unusable).

--
 "@'/ ,. \`@"   http://www.geekounet.org/