[MPlayer-users] how to check available codecs?

Bernt Christandl beb at mpa-garching.mpg.de
Wed May 7 15:51:03 CEST 2003

Hello,

i have two questions which i failed to find an answer in the manpage:

-> If i come to a running system (e.g. with Suse-Linux) and mplayer
   available, how can i check (aside from trying to run example-videos)
   which codecs are "builtin" into "this" local mplayer binary.

   In other words, when i configure mplayer from source, at the end of
   the configure run a summary is given what will be supported and what
   will not. Can i a "trigger" the mplayer-binary to tell me this
   summary again? (Or look for it elsewhere?)

-> Then if i have learned that my "local" mplayer does not support, e.g.
   quicktime (no qt....dll's available) is there a possibility to
   "add" dll's in a way that i don't have to re-configure/make/make install
   mplayer? (Something plugin-like?)

   For example SuSE-82-default starts with an empty /usr/lib/win32 directory.
   Can i fill in the dll's and hope that mplayer will know about them
   when i start it the next time?

With regards,

Bernt Christandl