[MPlayer-users] BUG: "mplayer -identify" now plays

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed May 14 03:03:05 CEST 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 02:25:26AM +0200, Steffen Barszus wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 13. Mai 2003 22:22 schrieb Andrew J. Yeckel:
> > When using mplayer from CVS from several weeks ago, running "mplayer
> > -identify foo.avi" would printout the identifying information, and then
> > exit.  Now (a more recent CVS), running "mplayer -identify foo.avi" will
> > first print out the identifying information, and then play the avi.
> >
> > I believe the whole point of -identify is for use in a script to do
> > processing, etc, and that is a time when you would not want mplayer to
> > actually play the video, only identify it.
> >
> > --Andy
>
> I second this. For what reason you should want mplayer play anything if
> -identify is used ? I would sure say its a bug

It was an intended change for consistency and to clean up the code.
Also the new way is more functional, since with the old behavior, you
couldn't both identify and show the movie at once (might not matter
for local files, but consider a network stream.

Perhaps someone should add a -dummy option or something that
automatically sets -frames 0 -vc null -vo null -ao null...?

Rich