[MPlayer-users] ATI Radeon Mobility M6 performance

Clemens Wächter clemenswaechter at web.de
Sat May 17 12:08:08 CEST 2003

On Fri, 16 May 2003 22:38:45 +0200 (MEST)
Stefan Seifert <stefanseifert at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hi!
> Does anyone have some experience with the ATI Radeon Mobility M6 and
> mplayer?
> I have such a chip in my notebook and the performance seems pretty bad. When
> I use -vo x11 it's pretty normal with about 20-30% CPU load (1,6GHz P4) when
> playing DVD or large MPEG or DivX movies. But this is without scaling.

I have it in my Notebook, too. Its a 1.2 GHZ P3. For DVDs it uses usually
20-30% CPU for DVD playback with sdl or xv. Usually I use xv.
For DivX its usually around 5%, mostly less ( often <1% ) for high bitrate/
high motion its sometimes around 15%, rarely more.

> For fullscreen playback I tried -vo xv or -vo gl. But xv is horrible slow,
> much skipping and constant 100% CPU utilisation. gl is a bit better and does
> at least not skip in scenes without much movement but it's still to much to
> enjoy a video.

Gl is slow for me, too. It uses around 50%-80%

> I tried everything I found in the docs or in Google.
> I'm using SuSE 8.2 with XFree86 4.3. I tried the standard X driver and Gatos
> drivers without any difference. MTRR are okay as in the mplayer docs. DMA is
> on and xvinfo tells me that it supports everything that's needed. DRI is
> working and performance in 3D games is as it should be.
>
> Why is video so slow on this notebook and how could i improve it?

Sorry I have no idea. Well my System is a gentoo and thus heavily optimized
for the used hardware but that shoudn't get you into that much problems if
you haven't.
And I'm still using XFree86 4.2, but that shouldn't be that much of a
problem neither. Is your Chip an (RM M6) LY chip, too?

Regards,

Clemens