[MPlayer-users] ATI Radeon Mobility M6 performance

Clemens Wächter clemenswaechter at web.de
Sat May 17 20:47:05 CEST 2003

On Sat, 17 May 2003 19:17:41 +0200 (MEST)
Stefan Seifert <stefanseifert at gmx.net> wrote:

> > I have it in my Notebook, too. Its a 1.2 GHZ P3. For DVDs it uses usually
> > 20-30% CPU for DVD playback with sdl or xv. Usually I use xv.
> > For DivX its usually around 5%, mostly less ( often <1% ) for high
> > bitrate/
> > high motion its sometimes around 15%, rarely more.
>
> Could you tell me which driver/version you are using? How did you complie
> your mplayer (any special options or just normal?), how is your X configured?

I use the standard "radeon" driver that comes with XFree 4.2
I don't use any special options, the display runs at a depth of 16 bit
with a resolution of 1024x768 (the maximum which the display supports)
As for the x modules I use {record, extmod, dbe, dri, glx, xtrap, type1, speedo}.
In fact, that is simply what XFree -configure gave me with the Modes and the
DefaultDepth inserted.

I compiled mplayer without the runtime cpudetection and with the gui.
Some time ago I used to disable the mpdvdkit but I don't think that I did
this version with that option. But that is surely not the problem.

> > Sorry I have no idea. Well my System is a gentoo and thus heavily
> > optimized
> > for the used hardware but that shoudn't get you into that much problems if
> > you haven't.
> > And I'm still using XFree86 4.2, but that shouldn't be that much of a
> > problem neither. Is your Chip an (RM M6) LY chip, too?
>
> yes it's a Radeon Mobility M6 LY rev 0
>
> But let me think....maybe it IS XFree86 4.3. If I remember correctly it
> workt before the update to SuSE 8.2 (with newer X)

Could be since it seems that the driver was under heavy development.
But I didn't measure the speed with the new since XFree 4.3 messes
my TV-Out up and that makes the standard Xfree 4.3 driver unusuable
for me. So I can't tell you if its Xfree 4.3 specific though I doubt
it for no reason.

By the way, has anyone experience with the TV-Out for that chip when
using Xfree 4.3? The colors are pretty messed up since 4.3, works perfectly
with 4.2.
Maybe its Asus specific (since this is a Asus L8400 laptop) and not
mplayer-related so my mind tells me to keep this off the list, but
anyways :-)

> Thanks,
> Nine

Regards,