[MPlayer-users] Re: exporting display to another Xserver

Jonathan Rogers jonner at mailandnews.com
Sun May 18 04:10:32 CEST 2003

Jochen Haemmerle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run Mplayer on my fast machine and export the display to
> my slower one.
> The errormessage I get ist: "X11 error: XF86VidModeClientNotLocal"
> I'm using XFree 4.2.1-6 (debian/sid) on both machines, and other
> X-forwardings, like xterm and emacs work fine!
> Perhaps somebody knows what my problem is.

Well, the problem is that MPlayer is obviously trying to use VidMode
extension, which only works locally. What I don't understand is why
MPlayer is trying to do this. I have no trouble running a remote MPlayer
  using both -vo xv and -vo x11, though it's very slow. I'm not sure if
it's just SSH slowness (yeah, I know, I should use direct X11
networking) or just that mencoder's taking all the spare CPU cycles on
the playing machine, but I digress. You are using an old version of MPlayer.

Jonathan Rogers