[MPlayer-users] Can't play external DVDs

Christof Buergi christof at buergi.lugs.ch
Tue May 27 21:51:02 CEST 2003

Am Dienstag, 27. Mai 2003 10.12 schrieb Diego Zuccato:
> Christof Buergi wrote:
> > This hasn't to be the error. Once MPlayer got all the keys, it
> > saves them to disk so it hasn't to get them again.
> Uh, well, but shouldn't it negotiate a bus key anyway?

Whoops! Yes, it should.

Now, that leads me to an idea. Maybe the DVD-drive is nor recognized as
a DVD-drive. Let's try it out: Boot your Computer with the external
drive connected an switched on. When Linux has booted, issue `cat
/proc/scsi/scsi/` on the command line.

If something like this shows up:

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PIONEER  Model: DVD-ROM DVD-303F Rev: 1.10
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

everything is okay, and we got to search for another reason. However, if
the type is "Direct-Access", then your DVD-drive is reported as a
harddisk. This might lead to the described effect.

--
                     _ ___      http://www.p2501.ch/             / \
|/  /\   /\   /\  | \   |  |    christof at buergi.lugs.ch          \ /
|\ /--\ /  \ /  \ | /_  |  |    Master of unrealistic idealism    x
                                Say NO to HTML in mail and news  / \