[MPlayer-users] Can't play external DVDs

DEBERT Jean-Louis jl.debert at rsd.com
Wed May 28 07:46:00 CEST 2003

Diego Zuccato wrote:

> Christof Buergi wrote:
>
> > Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
> >   Vendor: PIONEER  Model: DVD-ROM DVD-303F Rev: 1.10
> >   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> >
> > everything is okay, and we got to search for another
> reason. However, if
> > the type is "Direct-Access", then your DVD-drive is reported as a
> > harddisk. This might lead to the described effect.
> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: HL-DT-ST Model: DVD-ROM GDR8160B Rev: 0009
>   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> Nope. It's correctly recognized as a CD-ROM :-(

Hold it ! Isn't "channel 0, ID 0" supposed to be the boot unit
(i.e. a disk) ??? Well of course with ide-scsi, you cannot AFAIK
set these values, they would be assigned by the driver ...

I do have a real scsi card (with a real Iomega Jaz on ID 0) and
I remember that I once tried to put a cd burner (also scsi) on
ID 1. Well, it wouldn't work at all, IDs 0 or 1 seemed to be reserved
for direct-access somehow (they definitely did NOT accept cd-rom drives).

(I wouldn't know if this is still true, and whether it applies
to ide-scsi ...)