[MPlayer-users] advice for a dual-head video card

xi xizard at enib.fr
Fri May 30 15:46:58 CEST 2003

Maximo Ramos wrote:
> Hi!!
>
> I am using a Matrox G200, and I am very pleased with it (and with mplayer's
> mga_vid module) Thanks mplayer's developers!!
>
> Now, I would like to buy a dual-head video card (I like matrox) that allows me
> to use both monitors in console and Xwindows mode (preferrible console), is that
> possible? if so, what cards do you recommend?
>
> But the strong reason is to watch TV in one of the monitors (I am planning to buy a
> tv tuner also)
>
> Does any of you have a similar setup? I would like to be able to work in both monitors
> in console mode, but how is that possible? How to switch between monitors? or is it
> better to buy a PCI video card instead?
>
> Thanks :)
>
> P.S. Any advice for a tv tuner card is also appreciated (I would love closed caption)

Hi,

This is not exactly what you want to do, but it may help you a bit.
I have a dual head system with 2 screens. I use the solution with two
G200 cards (one PCI and one AGP). I choosed this solution because
dual-head matrox cards like G400, G450 and G550 doesn't support Xv
(overlay ?) on second head.
With my solution, I can move the movie from one to the other screen
without any problem, and I can even watch a movie on the two screens
simultaneously!

As for mga_vid module, it works only on the AGP card, but maybe because
I have not readed enouth TMF ...

Regards,
				Xavier

--