[MPlayer-users] [BUG] mencoder -vf softpulldown -oac mp3lame ==> audio corruption?

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Mon Nov 3 23:11:00 CET 2003

D Richard Felker III wrote:

> You you sure? The logs seem to lack -v...

Gah! Ok, I uploaded logs with -v, the avi files to match, and an updated
description file.

> Framerate-increasing filters are _not_ supported in mplayer/mencoder
> g1. They're huge hacks! Note that the movie is only 82 seconds long,
> but when encoding with your options, you end up with 92 seconds of
> output! The problem is that softpulldown has no way to tell mencoder
> that it's output 2 frames, so a/v sync drifts off to hell until the
> demuxer buffers overflow.

Ah... I hadn't noticed that.

> If you use -vf softpulldown,ivtc=1 then it works fine.

Yeah. Well, here's the sequence of things I did, by way of explanation:
1. Forgot that the last time I did this I had used ivtc instead of detc.
2. Used detc and encountered problems I had never seen before.
3. Tried to reduce it to the simplest possible test case, and uploaded a
bugreport.
4. While responding to your first email, remembered I had previously
used ivtc.
5. Encoded the darned DVD with ivtc this time. :)

>>===================================================
>>Now, before anybody reminds me that encoding right after using
>>softpulldown is a bad idea, I know that. :) These are just simplified
>>test cases.
>

> No, they're really not. Encoding like this will inherently fail. If
> you're really having problems with this file you should give a valid
> command line. :)

Well, as far as I could tell, the behavior is the same with detc=dr=1 as
it is without. Anyway, I might as well use ivtc anyway, because I never
had any problems there.

If you think there might be a bug in detc and you want me to mess around
with it some more, I'd be happy to do so. Otherwise, I don't really have
the inclination to pester you further. ;)

-Corey