[MPlayer-users] vsync and nvidia (was: [BUG] -vf tfields=4 jumpiness -- OSD flickers madly)

Jason Tackaberry tack at auc.ca
Tue Nov 4 03:29:46 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 20:21, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> MPlayer does not support framerate-increasing filters. The tfields
> filter only works for encoding, and even then it's a big hack
> involving setting the incorrect framerate. :)

I guess that explains that. :)

There may be a better fix for my real problem, anyway.  The WinTV
PVR-250 outputs a 29.97 fps interlaced mpeg2.  The problem is that when
I play this back through TV out (NVidia GF4 MX 440, using nvidia's
closed driver, no monitor connected) it looks terrible.

I've been reading the archives and doing various google searches, and
from what I've seen this seems to be a vsync issue.  When I leave CNN on
and just watch the scrolling marquee, it's regularly jerky and the
lettering jaggy, but every now and then things seem to click into place
for a moment and it looks smooth.

Everyone seems to be extolling the virtues of the Matrox G400 for this
sort of thing, but I'd love to salvage my existing nvidia card since
it's not a terrible card otherwise.

I feel a bit out of my element here and would definitely welcome some
hints.  I tried for a bit to get the nvidia vidix driver working, but
had problems (wouldn't detect the card and it seems that the PCI bus
scanning code doesn't work on my system).  But if in fact my problem is
vsync and the nvidia vidix driver will fix that, then I'll spend some
time to make it work.  Perhaps there are other options?

Best,
Jason.