[MPlayer-users] encoding movies to play in WMP?

brian gerkey gerkey at robotics.stanford.edu
Tue Nov 4 23:02:41 CET 2003

hi,

This may sound like a silly question, but how can I get mencoder to produce
a movie that will play in Windows Media Player?  I'm starting from
individual frames as jpegs (no audio).

I've tried many, many variants of the following command-line:

  $ mencoder \*.jpg -of avi -mf on:type=jpeg:fps=10 -o output.avi -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4

No matter what I do, the video plays fine in mplayer, but WMP tells me
that it can't play it back, complaining about the lack of a suitable
decompressor.

I've also tried -ovc divx4, but mencoder always segfaults before starting to
encode.

Is there a way to produce a move that vanilla WMP (i.e., without
additional codecs installed) will play?

Any help would be much appreciated.

        thanks,
        brian.