[MPlayer-users] Setting a higher volume

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Nov 5 02:27:52 CET 2003

Paulo Jorge de Oliveira Cantante de Matos wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've ripped a DVD with xvid2 codec, AC3 sound and unfortunately the
> movie has the volume is too low. Even on the maximum, it is too low.
> Is there a way to regenerate the Ogg movie file but with a louder
> sound volume?

A play-time fix can be had with the MPlayer-only volume filter:

==
mplayer -vf list=volume:volume=<percentage> <filename>
==

For a more permanent fix, read the <adjective> manual on audio filters;
-af volume and MEncoder should do what you want. You'll have to
transcode the audio, which reduces quality; another downside is that
MEncoder currently supports only PCM and MP3 audio output, though in CVS
it may soon be possible to use the lavc audio codecs if you want to
figure out how.

--
       The Wanderer