[MPlayer-users] Re: weird behavior

Tobias Diedrich ranma at gmx.at
Mon Nov 10 21:56:14 CET 2003

Sebastian Kaps wrote:

> have been affected directly. But I just noticed a huge difference in the
> file sizes shown by 'ls' and 'du'. ls says the file is ~720 MB big, du
> only says 420 MB.

Then it's probably a 'sparse file', which means parts of the file
contain only zeroes and these are not stored on disk.
For example bittorrent prior to Version 3.3 created sparse files (and
huge file fragmentation).  You can try it yourself with dd:
dd if=/dev/zero of=bigfile seek=16M count=1
This creates a 8.1GB file which only takes 16K on disk. :-)

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.2ya.com
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits.