[MPlayer-users] Re: VOD and mplayer

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Thu Nov 13 10:27:50 CET 2003

> > In other words, there was no such movie on the server.  In other words,
> > your "rtsp://" URL was incorrect.
>
>I don't think so. The movie exists at the location, but mplayer
>tries to issue the DESCRIBE command, which AFAIK is only used for
>Live content. However, since this is VOD, SDP is not used and thus
>there is no DESCRIBE response.

No, you are mistaken.  RTSP's "DESCRIBE" command is used to play all
RTSP/RTP content - whether it's live, or stored video-on-demand.  Also, in
each case, the response to the "DESCRIBE" command includes a SDP description.

However, in this case the server is returning "404 Not Found" in response
to the "DESCRIBE" command - but that's only because the specified movie
does not exist!

(For more information about RTSP, please see <http://www.rtsp.org/>)

>Note that the 404 is in response to the DESCRIBE, not in response to
>the movie. I can view the stream just fine with QuickTime!

Not for me.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>