[MPlayer-users] Audio/video sync... again

Vidar Wahlberg canidae at exent.net
Thu Nov 13 19:41:06 CET 2003

> I haven't reported bugs before, if it even is a bug. Is there somewhere
> I can upload the vobs & encoded files so you can see/hear the problems I
> got?

I take that as a "no" then.
Anyways, a bit more simple quiz:
Earlier I didn't do 3-pass encoding, as I encoded the audio with another
tool. However, I tried adding a third pass (frameno) and then the audio
got amazingly more correct than earlier. Still I believe the audio is
slightly off sync (about 50-100ms) even after the first xvid pass, but
unlike last time this desync seems to be constant for every DVD I got so
fixing it should be simple.
Right, back to the quiz: Does this "-ovc frameno" do some magic to fix
sync ("-oac copy" thru all passes btw)?

This is also how i encode (sorry for the mess):

mencoder -ovc frameno -oac copy -o frameno.avi movie.vob

mencoder -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1:bitrate=886 -oac copy -alang en \
-vf crop=640:368:64:96,scale=688:368 -o pass1.avi movie.vob

mencoder -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=2:bitrate=886 -oac copy -alang en \
-vf crop=640:368:64:96,scale=688:368 -o pass2.avi movie.vob

mplayer -vc dummy -vo null -ao pcm -aofile audio.wav pass2.avi
normalize --peak audio.wav
oggenc -b 114 audio.wav -o audio.ogg
ogmmerge -A pass2.avi audio.ogg -o movie.ogm

--
Regards,
Vidar Wahlberg