[MPlayer-users] Scaling interlaced video for DVD playback

Fabio Papa f.papa at mcmspa.it
Fri Nov 14 08:10:10 CET 2003

Hi list,
it has been some days now that I'm trying to find the optimal way tho handle
interlaced video I capture from a bt 8x8 card.
I used to deinterlace contents, but I was never happy with the results. Then I
got inspired from some of D Richard Felker III words and I started to find a
way to scale my videos (which is a need for me) while retaining them
interlaced. I finally come up with the idea that the most correct video
filter chain is something like:
-vf il=d:d,scale=xxx:yyy,il=i:i
The resulting video is still interlaced, but with more thick lines, which I
think is ok given the rescale operation.
Now, if I convert this to mpeg1 with mencoder, and use it to master some test
DVDs, I see the interlaced artifacts even on tv. It seems my dvd player or tv
set is not displaying it properly.
How would one solve that? And, more in general, what's the correct procedure
to handle such interlaced files for later TV only view?
Thanks!
--
Fabio Papa
Engineering division