[MPlayer-users] Create an AVI with DD5.1 out of a DVD ?

Tilo Renkl tilo at diredare.de
Fri Nov 14 14:28:35 CET 2003

> (DD 5.1),

> >>IMO it's no big problem, just a bug in mencoder's header
> writing. The
> >>5.1 audio is still there, and should be played just fine...
> >>

> > I do not know what exactly is there, but I can say that it is no
> > correct 5.1 sound. My receiver is going mad when I replay
> > that file. Always switching between a few differend soundtypes.
> >
> > Tilo
> >

> If you want the 5.1 AC3 sound to go straight to your receiver, you
> should use -ac hwac3 (and you might or might not need -ao alsa9,
> depending on whether you use alsa).
>
> If that doesn't do the trick, please post the output of:
>
> mplayer -v -ac hwac3 yourmovie.avi

I always use mplayer/mencoder to encode or play movies.
OK, to be more spezific:

I use MPlayer 1.0rc2
I encode with mencoder dvd://1 -oac copy .....
I play with mplayer movie.avi -hwac3 ...

And all I get is totally destroyed audio !!

Tilo

ps.: When playing the encoded movie with "mplayer movie.avi",
so that mplayer transcodes the ac3 to pcm the sound is also
destroyed.