[MPlayer-users] whats lircc? lirc support problem

Dano tux at zoznam.sk
Sun Nov 16 22:39:14 CET 2003

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:32:48 +0100, Oscar Sundbom
<oscar at moosecomrade.mine.nu> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:20:21 +0100
> Dano <rabinowich at zoznam.sk> wrote:
>
>> Thanx for advice Oscar.
>> I start lirc with a script placed in my /etc/rc3.d
>> there are two lines that start lirc and the mouse daemon
>> daemon lircd
>> daemon lircmd
>> --
>> And lircd is a normal process which is running.
>> I don't understand the thing with socket.
>> Should i start it with no daemon?
>> Maybe you are right, but please tell me more about that
>
> I can now see a few reasons why it doesn't work:
>
> One is that lircd places its socket at /dev/lircd and mplayer for some
> reason looks for it
> somewhere else, which could be attributed to compiling it with
> --enable-linux-devfs (or something like it),
> though I've no idea if that switch actually matters to the lirc code in
> mplayer.
>
> Another reason can be found in the LIRC FAQ at
> http://www.lirc.org/faq.html.
> <snip>
>  Only root can run LIRC applications. When I run LIRC applications (e.g.
> irexec) I get this error message:
>
>     irexec: could not connect to socket
>

> You have to change the file permissions of /dev/lircd. Usually it should
> be safe to give everyone read and write permissions. I try to make the
> daemon as secure as possible. You can also create a special group for
> this purpose.
>
>     chmod 666 /dev/lircd
> </snip>
>
> Since the rc-script starts lirc as root (I am guessing), this might the
> problem. Check the permissions of /dev/lircd.
>
> Check these out first and see if you get closer to a solution.
>
> Regards
> Oscar

I thought the same thing. so i tried that
i tried to run lircd and lircmd as normal user and than configure and i
also tried to run the ./configure as root
but everytime the same problem. I followed the documentations when
installing lirc and i changed the permisions
I also tried the linux-devfs options, but nothing helped.

--
Dano