[MPlayer-users] osd subtitles don't appear

Gaspar Bakos gbakos at cfa.harvard.edu
Mon Nov 17 04:10:35 CET 2003

Hi,

I am trying to get (possibly English) OSD titles on the DVD I am playing.
It is supposed to have subtitles in a couple of languages, and audio in
English, when started up as

mplayer -v dvd://1 dvd://device /dev/dvd -vo x11 -ao esd -osdlevel 3 -sid
0

I get the following:

There are 4 titles on this DVD.
There are 23 chapters in this DVD title.
There are 1 angles in this DVD title.
DVD successfully opened.
[open] audio stream: 0 audio format: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 128
[open] number of audio channels on disk: 1.
[open] subtitle ( sid ): 0 language: es
[open] subtitle ( sid ): 1 language: ja
[open] subtitle ( sid ): 2 language: zh
[open] number of subtitles on disk: 3

I have fonts at ~/.mplayer/font/ ,copied from
cp wherever/font-arial-iso-8859-1/font-arial-18-iso-8859-1/*
~/.mplayer/font/
(and downloaded from the mplayer website).

I see the ellapsed/total time on top of the frame, but never the
subtitles.
Any clue on this?

Cheers
Gaspar