[MPlayer-users] Bug report: Encoding to msmpeg4v2 codec

Helge Preuss preuss at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Mon Nov 17 10:30:52 CET 2003

Helge Preuss wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]

>>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>>Hi
>>
>>On Friday 14 November 2003 14:54, Helge Preuss wrote:
>>

>>>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>>>Hi list,
>>>I have to encode some movies for Windows users. The only codec that
>>>seems to work portably is the msmpeg4v2 codec. But MEncoder 0.92-3.2
>>>does not seem to support this properly. There are some very ugly
>>>artefacts. I have not yet found any combination of switches to remove them.
>>>I have put a little example of the created movie on
>>>http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/~preuss/Kohn.avi
>>><http://w3.rz-berlin.mpg.de/%7Epreuss/Kohn.avi>. If anybody cares to
>>>have a look at it and tell me what I do wrong...
>>>

>>try cvs, maybe it helps, if not then tell me and ill fix it
>>
>>[...]
>>

> It works now, thanks!

Oops, that was a bit early... I still get the same kind of "bleeding"
effect. So please consider this an official bug report. To summarize:
The effect can still be viewed at the above URL. I got this effect with
any combination of switches to mencoder i could think of, and I got it
with two different sets of input data. The video above is made from an
uncompressed PCM avi file, the other (which I did not put online) fro ma
set of JPEG files. The problem  occurred with version 0.92 and the
current (Nov 17) CVS version.
Greetings
Helge