[MPlayer-users] Windows compatibility

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Nov 18 22:06:42 CET 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 06:01:55PM +0100, Jindrich Makovicka wrote:
> Mario Valle wrote:
> >[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> >Just a quick question.
> >I want to create movies that can be played on Linux and Windows without
> >any supplementary installation.
> >I think the right codec is msmpeg4v2. Is it true?
>
> No. For msmpeg4v{1,2,3} you also need to install a codec (originally it
> was a cracked MS vmw/asf codec).

No, Windows asf decoder will play msmpeg4v2 as-is, AFAIK.

Anyway, msmpeg4 sucks, so you basically can't use any of the encoding
options that use advanced mpeg4 features. On the other hand, you
_should_ be able to use encoding options that just optimize decision
algorithms (like mbd=2, trell, etc.) without using advanced features
of the decoder, but perhaps they are buggy...

Rich