[MPlayer-users] Voices delay

Sam Mason sam at samason.me.uk
Thu Nov 20 16:47:13 CET 2003

Vidar Wahlberg wrote:
>beside it's not always the same desync

Ah well, that discounts the obvious problems.

>Well, I've played the dvd with mplayer with correct sync. I've also
>played the vob i ripped using mplayer with correct sync. So it's only
>when i encode the sync gets wrong.

Strange, that smacks of strange encode options. . .  I've had a look
back at some of your older posts and you seem to be ending up doing
quite a large number of steps to encode your video.  What's the
simplest set of options that you've used that exhibits this problem?

>Was curios if it could be my computer that messed up, so now I've tried
>to encode on Athlon, Duron & Celeron... All got the same desync.

I'm not sure if I would expect the processor to have much of an
influence on the encoding process.  If you're tickling a bug though,
it could be processor specific.

>Just to be sure I've also tried some different versions of mplayer...
>>From 0.90rc4 to latest cvs version (and I've also tried the apt-get
>version (unstable, marillat)). No change.

Ah well, worth a try.

>Yep, also been fiddling with different codecs: xvid, nuv, rawrgb, mpeg4

I've only really encoded to mpeg4 with libavcodec.

>And I've also tested on something like 15 different DVD's... I think one
>of the DVD's wasn't *that* much out of sync, but still noticeable.

I guess you used pretty a similar procedure to do the encoding from
all these different sources?

>I've also tested playing the encoded videos on other media players, but
>the desync is the same everywhere (and as i said, the dvd & vob itself
>plays perfectly with mplayer).

I missed that last time.  I guess it's safe to remove mplayer as a
potential variable in the problem.

>Even "mencoder -oac copy -ovc rawrgb dvd://1" cause the sound to be out
>of sync... "mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy dvd://1" i can't use as the
>output file crash after 1 second.

I think I remember someone (you?) talking about this before.  Also, I
don't have a DVD drive at the moment, so I can't do much in the way of
experimentation.

>All your help is greatly appreciated though :)

I'll do what I can, but it's only going to be another brain to bounce
ideas off not an mplayer expert like Rich or any of the other gurus
here.