[MPlayer-users] ALSA output not working

David S. Geirsson david at loesje.nl
Fri Nov 21 01:30:33 CET 2003

Hi. First off, I'm not subscribed to the mailing list at the moment, so
it would be very good if I be CC'd on any replies.

I just set up ALSA on my laptop, and of course, started by configuring
mplayer to use it. However, whenever I try to play anything in mplayer
with ao=alsa9, I get the following output:

[snip]
Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
MP3lib: init layer2&3 finished, tables done
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x10), ratio: 12000->176400 (96,0 kbit)
Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm:mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
Checking audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/16bit ->
44100Hz/2ch/16bit...
AF_pre: af format: 2 bps, 2 ch, 44100 hz, little endian signed int
AF_pre: 44100Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
alsa-init: requested format: 44100 Hz, 2 channels, Signed 16-bit
(Little-Endian)
alsa-init: 1 soundcard found, using: hw:0,0
alsa-init: unable to set periodsize: Invalid argument
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
[snip]

mplayer works fine if I use ao=oss, using ALSA's OSS emulation - but I'd
much rather prefer running it natively. All other alsa-based apps I've
tried seem to work fine (alsaplayer, aplay and xmms). I've tried files
of both 44.1KHz and 48KHz.

Also, from aplay output:
rate         : 44100
exact rate   : 44100 (44100/1)

So it would appear that the card does indeed go into the exact mode (so
it shouldn't be a problem of the card not supporting the frequency
mplayer wants).

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?

--
David S. Geirsson
david at loesje.nl
+31 642561928 (0642561928)