[MPlayer-users] ss and endpos

Konstantinos Karydas kkar at intracom.gr
Mon Nov 24 11:20:40 CET 2003

DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > which is by the way a simple cutting procedure of a clip, then the
> > mencoder will encode (copy at this case) 185 seconds after the 100th
> > second of the clip, i.e. it will stop at the 285th second=04:45 of
the
> > video clip, which is not correct since I want to encode until
> > the 185th
> > second=03:05. I hope you understand the issue.
>
> you answered yourself :)
>
> when you use -endpos 185, it will encode 185 secs.
> if you want to encode from 1:40 to 3:05, solution is:
> -ss 100 -endpos 85

I don't want to have to calculate how many seconds I have to subtract
each time so that I will encode until the correct time I want. The
example I mentioned is very simple and the numbers are straight forward
and easy. But if you have a large film of e.g. 2 hours and 27
minutes=(120*60)+27 secs or more then things are getting more
complicated and you have to do more and more calculations. Wouldn't this
be wise to have a functionality to tell the mencoder to encode e.g. from
1 hour and 10 minutes until 2 hours and 27 minutes without having to
calculate how many seconds are left to be calculated each time we do not
start encoding from the beginning of the movie clip? I.e., wouldn't this
be better to type simply:

$ mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -ss 01:10 -endpos 02:27

than calculating all the time 02:27-01:10=01:17 and thus typing
afterwards:

$ mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -ss 01:10 -endpos 01:17
???

Regards,

Kostas